Get Your Mold Problem Sorted Today.
Parenting is one of life’s most precious gifts. Each day brings new joys, new lessons, and a limitless supply of love. As a parent, it’s only natural to want the best for your children and to worry when they feel ill. Although most childhood illnesses are caused by simple viral infections and quickly pass, some children have more chronic symptoms. If your child’s been living with a persistent respiratory illness that isn’t going away, and you’ve ruled out other causes, mold might be the culprit.
Here are some common ways that mold might secretly be causing your child’s health problems - and what you can do about it:
If your child has been sneezing, coughing, itching, or having difficulty breathing, there is a chance they might be allergic to mold. One in ten people -- including children -- are allergic to mold. Although most people associate this fungus with hot, humid places, mold spores are found all over the world. The spores can even grow inside your home year-round if there are water intrusion and a moist environment.
According to the Mayo Clinic, mold allergies typically cause these symptoms:
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Asthma, difficulty breathing, or chest tightness
Just like other allergies, mold allergies are caused by your child’s immune system overreacting to contact with mold spores. When your child inhales the microscopic, airborne spores, the immune system unleashes antibodies to attack the spores. This cycle is what keeps your child sick.
If you live in a humid area, have a family history of allergies, seen mold growing in your home, or suspect your child might be allergic to mold, seek help from a medical professional. An allergist or immunologist can do a quick test to determine whether your child is allergic to mold. If so, treatment options range from over-the-counter allergy medications to allergy shots and asthma inhalers.
Equally important, you'll need to improve the air quality in your home to keep allergies at bay. The best way to do this is to hire a pro. Pure Maintenance specializes in removing both surface and airborne mold and pathogens. You can also improve the air quality in your home by running the air conditioner in warmer months and investing in a dehumidifier.
Black Mold Exposure
Mold can make your child sick in a more dangerous way: through black mold spores. In addition to common respiratory symptoms, black mold can also cause persistent fatigue, migraine headaches, nausea, and even internal bleeding.
In addition to being life-threatening, toxic black mold can be difficult and expensive to treat. That’s why it should be eliminated from the home as soon as possible. Just like with allergies, dehumidifiers and air purifiers help remove spores from the air. It is also recommended that you repair any leaks and add proper ventilation to humid areas, like showers.
Home Maintenance and Mold Treatment
Mold can enter your home wherever there's a water issue, such as windows, bathrooms, and crawl spaces. That's why it's crucial to ensure these areas are well-ventilated and leaks are fixed. For instance, if your windows are leaking air or water, there's a chance that mold can thrive on them. It's best to have your windows repaired or replaced to prevent mold growth. Keep in mind that the cost of getting glass window panes professionally replaced will depend on the amount of damage your window has sustained and the type of glass.
Additionally, if you’ve seen mold growing on your walls, regardless of the color, repaint the walls using a mold inhibitor to stop the mold in its tracks. If none of these methods work, contact the pros at Pure Maintenance to remove the mold and keep it from returning.
Regardless of whether or not mold is causing your child’s symptoms, it’s always best to see a pediatrician or immunologist just to be safe. A qualified medical professional can properly evaluate symptoms, determine their causes, and prescribe any necessary treatments. Sometimes, a case of the sniffles is just a minor inconvenience. However, if your child’s symptoms are interrupting daily life, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Finding the cause of an underlying illness might not be a simple process, but it’s always worth it to find ways to make your child feel better.